First let me start off with explaining the difference between a REALTOR® and a real estate sales agent. REALTORS® belong to the National Association of REALTORS® as well as their state and local associations. These are professional organizations, and we pay annual dues to be members, so we are serious about who we are and what we stand for. Simply having your real estate license does not make you a REALTOR®, although the majority of the public thinks we are one in the same… and we are not. As a REALTOR® in Texas, we follow the TREC (Texas Real Estate Commission) rules as well as the TAR (Texas Association of REALTORS®) rules and guidelines. A real estate sales agent cannot use the TAR contracts, and they do not have the national support of the NAR or the state and local chapter support that REALTORS® do. Lastly, ONLY REALTORS® have access to MLS (Multiple Listing Service).
So, now that we have that cleared up, why do you need a REALTOR® to help you buy, sell or lease property? Here are just 5 reasons (out of many) why:
- Our knowledge: we know real estate… as professionals, we live and breathe it every day! You wouldn’t hire someone who is NOT a doctor to operate on you or diagnose a medical issue, would you? Same goes for real estate; hire a professional to guide you through the transaction.
- Negotiations: REALTORS® are taught to negotiate on behalf of their Clients. And because we are professionals who know the real estate market in which we work, we know the value of the current market and what properties are worth.
- Contracts: we fill out contracts on a regular basis and know what they mean and how they can affect a transaction—good or bad! We know the importance of a good, clean written contract.
- REALTOR® networks: we know and work with the best lenders, title companies, and vendors day in and day out! Therefore, we can recommend the best people to work for you.
- Leasing nightmares: trying to lease a property that you own? Good luck… finding a great tenant takes a lot of work and due diligence! As a REALTOR®, we know the best screening/background checks and verification processes out there. Just ONE bad tenant can cost you thousands of dollars and cause you great frustration! And again, we know the real estate market… including the rental market, so we can give you a realistic idea of what your rent should be. This goes for Clients looking to lease as well; a REALTOR® can help you find a lease property that fits your criteria and can tell you if the rent is inline with the current market.
I could probably list 100 more reasons why you should hire a REALTOR® when you are buying, selling, leasing or investing in real estate, but the above 5 are some pretty solid ones. Call us today if YOU need one!
Oh, by the way, REALTOR® is pronounced “real-tor” not “real-a-tor,” just saying…